Home staging is the art of preparing homes for sale so that their best features are showcased and any problem areas are minimized. It is not just about decorating – in most cases it’s about un-decorating. A successful staging is accomplished through a combination of home “editing”, de-cluttering, organizing, and the rearrangement of furnishings, artwork, lighting, area rugs and accessories.
Here are five basic guidelines for preparing a house for sale:
- Create curb appeal
- Clean everything
- Eliminate clutter – use a POD for storage of excess furnishings
- Neutralize/De-Personalize – remove cultural and religious items
- Highlight the focal point and architecture of each space
The areas that are most critical to the sale of ANY home are:
- Curbside (from the street or curb to the front door)
- Master Bedroom
- Master Bathroom
- Powder Rooms and other Bathrooms
- Family Room
- Living Room
- Dining Room
- Check your property from the outside in. Repaint your front door (if necessary), replace rusty doorbells, porch lights or door hardware. Get a new welcome mat. If weather permits, display greenery or flowers at the entrance.
- Make rooms appear larger by removing excess furniture. Group seating so that it appears “conversational”.
- Remove hanging objects, sickly plants, items on window sills and ledges, and remove personal photographs.
- In each room, bring the focus back to the natural focal point. Remove televisions and recliners if they are unattractive or compete with the focal point of the room.
- If the view outside a window is unpleasant, use curtains and a beautiful floral arrangement and lamp on a small table in front of the window.
- Replace worn bedding with fresh bedding and replace worn towels in all bathrooms with fresh towels.
- Upgrade the wattage in rooms with poor lighting.
- Eliminate dried flower arrangements, remove dust from silk plants and clean ceiling fans and switch plates.
- Make closets appear only ½ to 2/3 full.
- Remove scatter rugs, replace shower curtain (if worn), keep toilet seats down, and remove cleaning supplies.